i think photo calendars are a FUNctional and often hilarious present. i like them.
dogs like them too!
big thanks to betsylife for sharing a yearful of puppy pics!
starring adorable black lab puppy olive, and her big sister tally.
pouncey approves too.
the dachshund i think is named boozer. i have no real life experience with dachshunds (weiner dogs), though i know that one of them bit kevin in the nose when he was a little kid. so now i think they’re pretty funny and awesome.
check out betsylife for more puppy pictures, great recipes, and moooooore!
*ps – dogs were enticed into kissing olive through the magic of coconut oil.
this weekend the WFTDA (women’s flat track derby association) held a tournament at the civic center downtown asheville.
my old friend A-lisa from your favorite kickball team, the san diego kitshickers, is now a member of the chicago roller derby team, the windy city rollers. she goes by ‘sargentina‘ and her job is to kick ass, and she is really good at it. she was an all-star from day one on the kitshickers, and nothing is different on the windy city rollers.
|last i saw alisa, (right) she was ho-downing, now she’s downing ho’s|
i got to hang out with her for a couple of days, and pouncey was allowed to sleep outside of his crate for one night and snuggle with her. he fell in love and will never be the same!
|pouncey drooling over sargentina’s playing card|
windy city had to finish 1st, 2nd, or 3rd this weekend in order to make it to the championships in november. they lost in a white knuckle heartbreaker saturday, but last night they squeaked by minnesota to clinch the 3rd spot!
it was really mind-blowing and exciting watching their bout. these women are extremely intense. extremely agile. extremely powerful. the score is constantly changing, as they get a point for each player that their ‘jammer’ passes on her trips around the track. it’s pretty confusing for a new fan, but very exciting. i can’t believe the small amount of padding that they wear, considering the speed they’re moving and the concreteness of the floor.
|i wouldn’t want to try to break that line!|
it’s always great to see old friends, especially when they’re doing interesting things!
grace was the black lab bitch of my friends jimmy and betsy in san diego.
it’s because of grace that i even have those wonderful friends from san diego. she lived across the street, and of course was so cute that she was irresistible, and in a crazy tiny world coincidence, we realized she had lived in chapel hill the same time that i had, i remembered seeing her outside jimmy’s house in chapel hill, and she had been bred with a dog from holden’s very kennel in raleigh.
grace was so eager to please. also eager to eat, eager to swim, eager to snore, eager to ride in the car, eager to dive for koozies, really just eager to please.
she was the only dog deemed well-behaved enough to be the kitshicker’s mascot. she came to all the games and practices, wore a t-shirt, and never chased and popped a ball, unlike nacho and holden.
she wore a mini sombrero.
she checked to make sure friends were alive after wine tours.
rest in peace sweet doggie!
gonna get back on the blog horse from the new house with a list of good things:
1. the internet here is fast and reliable. this may seem like a small deal, but for somebody who had aggravated charter repair visits on a more-than-monthly basis for the last 2 years, this is a Big Deal.
2. the water pressure is awesome. my shower is no longer a clawfoot tub designed for a child. the plastic shower liners do not sweep in and give me unwanted mildewy hugs.
3. kid D’s sweet little girl teylor scores a soccer goal.
4. betsy’s “great list” – i love this idea. i love her attitude of gratitude. i love her link to our old friend from san diego dr. adam tibble’s letter from afghanistan to anderson cooper.
5. there are surprisingly good restaurants around here in east asheville. who knew? i didn’t. east village grille. cafe azalea. pomodoro’s (which i mistakenly thought was 1. a chain and 2. like olive garden based on their signs. note to restauranteurs – be careful of too-slick/clean-looking marketing material!)
6. my biggest t-shirt order of all time came this week: 10 t-shirts to a girl in texas. yee haw!
7. the amaryllis in the photo re-bloomed 1.25 years later. i kept watering it and the leaves kept growing for a year and then a new shoot shot up and now BOOM giant pink flowers towering many feet in the air above the pot.
8. had a couple rugs and couches cleaned today. they look and smell like new, now with 98% less dog fur. thank you five step carpet care
9. eli turned 8 this week. he got a big ball of raw hamburger meat. he enjoyed this. nacho got a miniball. he enjoyed his, too.
in an effort to keep this blog un-spammy, i started a new blog just for the vintage shirts i’m selling.
skippy haha vintage blog
it doesn’t mean i’ll never post here about shirts, or peanut butter stash safes, or whatever, but i’m going to try to keep them separate.
BUT the bloggers who so kindly took me up on the offer of free shirts in exchange for bloglove will be posted over there and here, because i think they’re interesting.
without further ado, it’s betsylife!
is awesome. she will make you smile, smile, smile. in real life and on the internets.
she posts daily. super fresh recipes, some simple, some not. all with mouth-watering photos. she’s full of tips on cooking and enjoying life in general. she’s also an amazing painter
. totally inspiring.
back when i lived in san diego, she was one of the most beautiful and creative t-shirt models around – always willing and able to go the distance for the shot, so help her jesus.
thanks so much and cheers, betsy!